Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ptarmigan Broth




















The camera woes continue. Fortunately, such woes don't interfere with my ability to make broth with J's first ptarmigan catch. That isn't to say, however, that I had an easy go with the making of ptarmigan broth. I didn't seem to have a handy way to remove the feet. Remembering my childhood awe in dim sum restaurants, when a cart would present chicken feet, I finally concluded that these stubbornly atttached feet could only add flavor to my ptarmigan soup. And so I made the broth with ptarmigan feet attached. If this is wrong, please let me know.

1 comment:

Laurie Constantino said...

Wrong? I wonder if there is a wrong in cooking? The test is probably if it tastes good. For me, I probably wouldn't have included the feet unless I removed the feathers on them. Without the feathers, I'd include the feet. Usually a dip in scalding water will make it easier to remove the feathers. As for cutting off the feet, a good whack with a sharp knife or cleaver should take them right off. Or kitchen shears which, if you don't have, you should definitely consider buying them - they are quite handy.